Blood Conservation at the POC: The right technology can make a difference
9 ноября 2016 г.
Webinar presented by Nam K. Tran, PhD, MS, FACB, University of California, Davis
About this webinar
Blood conservation is a major objective for health care providers today. An unnecessary blood transfusion can pose potential risk to the patient and be costly. Decisions to give the patient blood are commonly made with point of care devices that measure total hemoglobin directly or indirectly.
Hemoglobin measurement technology includes conductance, cyano-hemoglobin, and optical-based methods. Depending on the condition and treatment of the patient, some technologies will provide significantly more accurate hemoglobin levels.
Choosing the right technology for the measurement of total hemoglobin and controlling the preanalytical phase can provide the same clinical accuracy as the central lab but in a shorter time to facilitate clinical decision making. Unfortunately the wrong choice may mislead the clinician into a decision potentially causing risk and cost to the patient especially for those receiving procedures that alter blood volume.
This webinar will provide an overview of the various technologies to measure total hemoglobin at the point of care weighting the merits of each method where the analytical performance will be compared.
The importance of the preanalytical phase on accurate hemoglobin results with particular focus on the impact of sample mixing will also be presented from the literature and Dr. Tran’s recent studies at the University of California Davis Medical Center. Practical options that may be implemented at the attendee’s hospital will be discussed.
Who should attend?
- Point of care coordinators
- Respiratory therapists
- One PACE® credit-hour will be provided for this session.
- This session is approved for 1 Florida CE credit.
Florida Board of Clinical Laboratory Personnel approved number: 50-12563
- Application has been made to the American Association for Respiratory Care (AARC) for continuing education contact hours for respiratory therapists.
This webinar will:
- Review the importance of blood conservation and transfusion management with respect to patient care and its financial impact.
- Discuss the analytical performance advantages and disadvantages of the cyano-hemoglobin, conductance and optical methods for the measurement of total hemoglobin.
- Describe the clinical application of oximetry and how calculated results like oxygen saturation compare.
- Discuss application strategies at the POC to control the preanalytic phase and improve the accuracy of total hemoglobin results.
Sponsored by Radiometer
Note: You can now join Webex Event Center from iPhones, iPads, and Android devices. Visit the Apple Store or Google Play to install the latest free app on your device.